Litigation Tools - Motor Vehicle Accidents
If you are involved in an accident the following tips can help you stay ahead of the situation:
- Stop, turn off the ignition, and turn on your emergency four way flashers.
- Determine whether there are any injuries and immediately seek assistance for those who have been injured. Do not move an injured person. Keep an injured person warm to prevent shock.
- Phone the police and give them the accident details, including whether there are any injuries, and wait for their arrival.
- Warn approaching traffic of any hazard presented by the vehicles by placing flares or other warning devices. Note that ignited flares and smoking have no place near vehicles where fuel is leaking.
- DO NOT discuss who is to blame for the accident. Complete the Accident Details in this pamphlet.
- With the assistance of the police you can arrange to have your vehicle towed to a repairer or car dealer if it is not drivable. Do not sign blank work orders.
- When you are home and have gained your composure call your insurance agent and report the following information. They will know what to do.
Murphy Collette Murphy
Barristers & Solicitors
250 Lutz Street
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada